Taking your newborn baby home is an incredibly exciting time, but many parents feel daunted by the responsibility that comes with caring for a baby.
Recognising signs of serious illness and knowing when and where to seek help is essential knowledge for all parents and caregivers. Would you know what to do in an emergency?
We developed the Baby Safe Program to provide parents and grandparents with the latest evidence-based guidance on safe sleeping, recognising signs of serious illness in young babies, knowing when and where to seek professional help and how to provide essential first aid in a baby emergency.
We can provide you with the knowledge and skills to deal with an emergency in the first year of your baby’s life with confidence. Our programs are designed to cover the essentials of baby safety, without being too overwhelming or too technical.
All our programs are run by Dr Rosemarie Boland, Director of Precious Care Australia.
In our series of classes and videos, we cover the following topics:
- Safe sleep environment to reduce the risk of Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy
- Safe wrapping versus use a safe sleeping bag
- Recognising signs of an unwell baby
- Seeking professional help: who, where and when
- Managing illness in the first few months after birth: fever, croup, and bronchiolitis
- Vomiting and possetting
- Bath and water safety
- When to call for help in an emergency
- Baby First Aid/Baby Basic Life Support, including:
- Baby cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Management of choking on food
- Management of choking on milk
- Febrile Convulsions
- Button Battery ingestion
- Prevention of drowning- bath and water safety
Our programs are specifically designed for:
- Expectant parents
- Parents of babies: newborns to one year
- Parents with a baby in NICU or SCN preparing for discharge home
- Nannies and babysitters
- Older siblings (16 years and over)